The parameter-less version of “init” in NSDocument can’t throw. It’s suggesting
to (save the error somehow and then) throw the error from one of the other
initializers. This counts on the fact that you won’t initialize a NSDocument
(subclass) instance with no parameters, but call one of the others, which calls
“init()”.

But I can’t call the “super” versions of those other initializers from within
my override. In fact, I can’t create overrides of them; the Swift compiler
won’t auto-complete and insists that I mark them as “convenience” initializers.
And I am limited to my “self.init()” call to start them up. Do I have to
manually recreate the algorithm for each initializer overload(?)? Will
NSDocumentController and other parts of the framework see my “overrides” of the
standard NSDocument initializers and use them instead? Or should I just forget
about throwing errors from “init()”? I could just call “fatalError” or similar
instead.

(Oh, I got error objects because I’m initializing my (per-document) Core Data
stack in “init()”.)

—
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie