> On Feb 17, 2017, at 7:41 AM, sqwarqDev <sqwarq...@icloud.com> wrote:
>
> So eventually I discovered that this question has a history. Back in 2008
> Keary and Garriet discussed this:
>
> http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:HXWdzJeGeDcJ:www.cocoabuilder.com/archive/cocoa/208612-nspredicate-containing-contains.html+&cd=4&hl=th&ct=clnk&gl=th&client=safari
>

> Alas, none of that worked for me, but that’s exactly the same problem as
> described.
>
> I also found some history of it on SO, but I don’t understand the “solution”
> - which the asker confusingly says “I marking this as the solution even
> though it doesn’t answer my question because my question was misleading”.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11476466/use-an-nspredicate-to-detect-not-contains
>
> I’ve tried all the %K and so on options. I’ve actually even downloaded Xcode
> 4 and built a test project in 10.7 Lion so I could debug it directly. Always
> the same error:
>
> “Unknown type of NSComparisonPredicate given to NSMetadataQuery”.
>
> LIKE works, but as I said doesn’t give me the right results. MATCHES fails,
> as does CONTAINS. I’m beginning to think this is a bug in NSMetadataQuery.

Have you read the File Metadata Search Programming Guide? You can find it here
<https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/SpotlightQuery/Concepts/QueryFormat.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001849-CJBEJBHH>
 According to that document, only a very limited subset of predicate syntax is
supported, and it uses special parsing rules. The correct syntax is probably:

        kMDItemFSName ==[c] *%@*

As long as the parser is OK with the %@ placeholder, which the docs don’t state
directly so an alternative would be to construct the string before passing to
-predicateWithFormat:

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.