The open-file Apple Event may contain a parameter for a search term. After
opening a file for a document, if there is a search term, and the document
window supports searching, then fill in the window’s search field with the
event’s search term.

The guide for "NSDocument.canConcurrentlyReadDocuments(ofType:)” mentions that
your opening routine can’t get access to the Apple Event when running in
multi-threaded mode. So they suggestion not activating that mode for your
document class if you need to inspect the search term. But couldn’t you do that
in NSDocumentController instead?

Right now, I’m pulling the trigger on concurrent opening. Then I’m thinking of
overriding “NSDocumentController.openDocument(withContentsOf: display:
completionHandler:)". Before calling super, I would check the Apple Event then
to extract any search term. Then I would write a closure that checks if a
document matches a custom protocol, and if the document class matches, use the
protocol to pass the search term to the document. This new closure wraps the
completionHandler argument already given and will be the handler passed on to
super instead. That seems OK to work (in my head, at least).

—
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie
darylew AT mac DOT com