On Mar 6, 2017, at 13:58 , Daryle Walker <dary...@mac.com> wrote:

> The docs fo “NSDocumentController.reopenDocument(for: withContentsOf:
> display: completionHandler:)” mention it’s for app restore.

> Do I have to restrict these methods for their documented purposes?

I think you do have to be careful, in the situation where the underlying
document already has state information that this method might try to restore.
Depending on when and where you invoke it yourself, and what you do next, you
may trip over some oddities.

FWIW, I think the reason that no one has been jumping in to answer your
questions about NSDocument is that the documentation architecture is now so old
and so intricate that no one carries around the answers to subtle questions in
their head any more. I know for certain that I don’t, at least. For anything
but the most basic NSDocument subclassing needs, it’s usually necessary to
experiment to find out how to do the unusual things, so you’re kind of on your
own journey here.

I’m not sure you’ve mentioned consulting this reference document:

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/DataManagement/Conceptual/DocBasedAppProgrammingGuideForOSX/Introduction/Introduction.html

<https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/DataManagement/Conceptual/DocBasedAppProgrammingGuideForOSX/Introduction/Introduction.html>

It should still be correct, though it was last updated in 2012. Unfortunately,
you sometimes have to read every word very closely to get answers to the harder
questions, plus all of the additional documentation in the comments of the
header files for NSDocument and NSDocumentController, along with the header
files for related protocols such as state restoration, for the last 5 years of
functional additions.