This is common practice. Here's why.  In C++ this

#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" {
#endif
………./*some function,struct*/

#ifdef __cplusplus
}
#endif

compiles as
extern "C" {
………./*some function,struct*/
}

As you identify, this declares C linkage, usually to a precompiled C
library, or to make a C-compatible library. The extern must be conditional,
because in pure C this form of extern is a syntax error.

So what happens in pure C? The #ifdef section is skipped because
__cplusplus is undefined. So it just compiles as
………./*some function,struct*/
In other words, just C definitions, which will have C linkage by default.

This allows a header file for a C library to be compiled in C, and to be
compiled in C++ with suitable linkage.

(You should not see // in this section, because in pure C it is forbidden).