I would suggest that you take a look at the sample code for CocoaMovieCreate and MakeEffectMovie. If an off the shelf product can't help you (Have you tried using AppleScript with QT Player to accomplish your goal?), then these two examples should give you enough of the basics to get you through the process of creating your own application.

regards,

douglas