> On Mar 9, 2017, at 7:05 AM, Daryle Walker <dary...@mac.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 8, 2017, at 4:17 PM, Daryle Walker <dary...@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> I tried:
>>
>>>           // Set the paragraph formatting for the body...
>>>           let bodyAdvancement = bodyFont.maximumAdvancement
>>>           let bodyIndent = max(bodyAdvancement.width,
>>> bodyAdvancement.height) / 2.0
>>>           let bodyParagraphStyle = NSParagraphStyle.default().mutableCopy()
>>> as! NSMutableParagraphStyle
>>>           bodyParagraphStyle.headIndent = bodyIndent
>>>           bodyParagraphStyle.lineBreakMode = .byWordWrapping
>>>
>>>           // ...and separator
>>>           let separatorParagraphStyle = bodyParagraphStyle.mutableCopy()
>>> as! NSMutableParagraphStyle
>>>           let separatorTextBlock = NSTextBlock()
>>>           separatorParagraphStyle.textBlocks.append(separatorTextBlock)
>>>
>>>           // Set the body, but add a line for the initial separator
>>>           let richSeparator = NSMutableAttributedString(string: " \n",
>>> attributes: [NSFontAttributeName: bodyFont, NSParagraphStyleAttributeName:
>>> separatorParagraphStyle])
>>>           let richBody = NSMutableAttributedString(string: body,
>>> attributes: [NSFontAttributeName: bodyFont, NSParagraphStyleAttributeName:
>>> bodyParagraphStyle])
>>>           result.append(richSeparator)
>>>           result.append(richBody)
>>
>> What I wanted: the separator line surrounded by a block.
>> What I got: the separator and the body all surrounded by a block.
>>
>> I originally had the separator and body in a single string, and used a range
>> to influence just the separator. This got the same result. I thought
>> treating the separator and body in separate strings first wouldn’t infect
>> the body with the text block, but it (illogically) does!
>>
>> How do I end the influence of a block? Put -1 entries in the text-block
>> array?
>
> From tinkering around it seem like there is splatter dynamics when going
> across ranges of text with different “textBlocks” settings, UNLESS the second
> range uses no blocks. In just that case the second range copies the block
> policy of the first range. This makes no sense.

I read the paragraph styles of my paragraphs, and their block settings are as
expected. The separator has a single block, and the body has no blocks. This is
a straight-up bug, but in Apple’s code (during rendering). That’s the problem
with rarely-used/mentioned classes: not only does barely anyone knows how to
use them, sometimes the creators didn’t do enough testing.

Since the bug is on Apple’s side (# 30968328), I can’t fix it and I’m stuck.
The only idea in mind, besides giving up, is to create a 1x1 table. Now for
more research….

—
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie