I like composing controls and such over coming up with new views. This
frustrates me with printing, though, since it’s based on making a view, and
making sure that is page-cuttable. I made RTF-export for my app in the first
place because I thought there was an easy conversion to printing.

Poking around Stack Overflow, I realized that the view to print can be an
existing class. I could couple the document-data-to-NSAttributedString
operation I already wrote with a NSTextView to make something that a
NSPrintOperation could use:

>     override func printOperation(withSettings printSettings: [String : Any])
> throws -> NSPrintOperation {
>         // Copy the message to a string to print.
>         var messageString: NSAttributedString! = /* … */
>
>         // Create a view to visualize the message string.
>         var info = self.printInfo.copy() as! NSPrintInfo
>         info.dictionary().addEntries(from: printSettings)
>
>         let view = NSTextView(frame: info.imageablePageBounds)
>         view.autoresizingMask = [.viewWidthSizable, .viewHeightSizable]
>         do {
>             view.textStorage?.beginEditing()
>             defer { view.textStorage?.endEditing() }
>
>             view.textStorage?.setAttributedString(messageString)
>         }
>
>         return NSPrintOperation(view: view, printInfo: info)
>     }

I hope it’s a nice first try, but I have some concerns.

1. I also added an “Export as PDF…” menu item, which uses the save-as-PDF
default action. I guess it calls my code, but the docs for
“NSDocument.pdfPrintOperation” say I should use a separate print-information
objects for PDF mode. Does the default code take care of that already? Or do I
have to figure out somehow if I’m in print-to-PDF mode or regular print mode
and change the initialization of “info” above to be “self.pdfPrintOperation” as
needed?

2. The RTF files I saved with the conversion operation have wrapping when
viewed through QuickLook. But the print-outs don’t do that; they do wrap, but
the limit is past the page margins so I lose part of the text. How can I set
the wrapping-mode/margins correctly.

3. Are there any other (subtle) problems with the text-view code, since I just
took it from Stack Overflow?

—
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie