On Jun 21, 2008, at 12:49 PM, Alex Wait wrote:

I have tried to, in my init method, to do this

id proxy = [controller mutableArrayValueForKey:@"arrayOfData"];

I have also tried using the values "firstName" and "lastName" which are the
properties of my Data class. controller is a pointer
to my array controller.

In the init method of the same class which holds the arrayOfData property? If so, then you want to send mutableArrayValueForKey: to self, not to controller.

If you're thinking of using the resulting proxy during the init method, then that's not necessary. Until the object is initialized, it can't have any observers.

If you're planning to keep the proxy around for use during addData:, then you'd need to store it in an instance variable rather than a local variable and, if you're not using garbage collection, retain it. (I figure you probably know about the instance vs. local thing, but just thought I'd be thorough.)

however proxy is nil.

Hmm. That's odd. I wouldn't think that method would be capable of returning nil. It's documented as succeeding or throwing an exception. I suspect "controller" is nil at this point, and messages to nil generally result in nil. This is probably a case of an outlet configured in a nib, which is not set up at init time. It's connected after init and before -awakeFromNib.

Since controller isn't the proper receiver of this message anyway, no need to worry too deeply about this. Send the message to self, and this will probably work itself out.

If I am able to get a proxy object, can I do modifications and still have
KVO notifications sent?

Yup, that's what it's for. If you do the modifications to the proxy, KVO notifications will be sent.

After reading the responses I am sure that this method is not adding the
data in the way that means KVO notifciations would be sent.

Correct, the implementation you posted would fail to send KVO notifications.

Cheers,
Ken