If Apple Support says (as It said) "iOS HFS Normalized UNICODE names , APFS now
treats all files as a bag of bytes on iOS . We are requesting that Applications
developers call the correct Normalization routines to make sure the file name
contains the correct representation.” then I think that the solution will be to
decompose the bytes so that the “bag of bytes” or the “normalized names” are
the same. From the name of the API I *suppose* that [NSString
decomposedStringWithCanonicalMapping] will do, but it needs to be tested,
because the point is that on APFS you need to apply the same (de)composition
that iOS HFS does (so to have the same bytes when asking for the file name).
Btw: I think this is a significant difference in filename management that I
think will bite many developers, it should be fixed at file system level, IMHO…
but who knows what the other implication are…

My 2 €cents,
Gt