> On Apr 6, 2017, at 11:38 AM, Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:
>
> Do you have “Desktop & Documents Folders” enabled in System Preferences
> iCloud > iCloud Drive Options…?

No. But the problem occurs if this is on or off. It does not matter.

As a side note enabling iCloud Drive “Desktop & Documents Folders” can be very
dangerous. When this is enabled and then disabled the entire content of the
Desktop and Documents folders will be removed. A very disturbing event. Your
content however, is still available on iCloud drive.

This is absolutely crazy. This endless push to dumb down the mac platform at
all costs is not appreciated. The individuals at Apple that implemented this
feature must have lost their minds.

> Take a sysdiagnose (sudo sysdiagnose in Terminal, or
> Command-Option-Control-Shift-Period key combo). Then file a bug report
> at https://bugreport.apple.com.

Further testing has shown that this problem also occurs with a new Xcode
project template (core data document based application). It occurs on my
development machine and also on my 11 inch MacBook Air.

I discovered others have had similar issues.

https://github.com/coteditor/CotEditor/issues/591

https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/79226

So it appears like this is an Apple problem with basic document functionality
so I think I will forgo submitting a bug report. (I have come to the conclusion
that in many if not most cases bug reports are a waste of time.)

Thanks for your help.

--Richard Charles