I announced today on Apple's accessibility-dev mailing list that I have
discovered that the MacBook Pro (Late 2016) Touch Bar in macOS Sierra 10.12.2
and later supports AppleScript's GUI Scripting technology using the
Accessibility API as well as supporting Quartz Event Taps. Apple's API
Reference for the NSTouchBar class says "Because the Touch Bar is designed to
work with AppKit, it is fully accessible."

I posted an example AppleScript to the applescript-users mailing list this
morning. In this message to the cocoa-dev list, I am posting the AppDelegate.m
Objective-C source file from a companion Cocoa application I have written,
showing how to use Quartz Event Taps to monitor the Touch Bar in another
application and to intercept and modify or replace the Touch Bar event. This
ability is necessary in order to write assistive applications for users with
disabilities on a Touch Bar-equipped Mac.

This Objective-C application installs an event tap for the active application
and receives every touch emanating from that application's Touch Bar. The most
useful information contained in the touch is the location of the touch within
the Touch Bar. You can then turn to the Accessibility API, illustrated in the
sample AppleScript I posted this morning to applescript-users, to identify
which button was located at that location in the Touch Bar and information
about what it was intended to do.

Because of its length, I will post the first and second halves of the
AppDelegate.m file in two separate messages to follow immediately.

--

Bill Cheeseman - wjcheese...@comcast.net