>> My attempt like:
>> [NSURL URLWithString:[path
>> stringByAddingPercentEscapesUsingEncoding:NSASCIIStringEncoding]
>> relativeToURL:relativeTo];
>
> Ah, you want NSUTF8StringEncoding instead. Generally speaking, URL encoding
> always uses UTF-8 nowadays.

Thankyou for your reply Jens. That's reassuring. (And soon after sending that I
discovered that my proposed use of NSUnicodeStringEncoding was badly broken
because it prevented url.path.UTF8String from working. Surprise, surprise:
using your recommended UTF8 makes that work!

> You mean an open or close (aka “curly”) quote? They’re easily typed with
> Option-[ and Option-Shift-[.

Ah yes, I knew that once, back in the day before text editors started
auto-creating the open/close quotes themselves. I only write them manually in
LaTeX these days.

Cheers
Jonny