> On Aug 7, 2017, at 5:02 PM, David Hoerl <dho...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> I recently saw some code where an object was alloced but there was no init:
>
>  Foo *foo = [Foo alloc];
>  foo.bar = ...
>
> My blood pressure soared! My pulse quickened! I started breathing rapidly!
>
> But then I though - heck, if Foo has NSObject as its super class, gee, maybe
> -init isn't really need. I mean, if all of Foo's ivars and properties are
> initialized, its a shortcut, right.

Pro:
* -[NSObject init] is in fact guaranteed to do nothing.

Con:
* As you noticed, independent of its correctness, the code above *looks* wrong.
That alone is bad. It ought either to call -init or to have a big scary comment
describing why it is safe not to.
* If Foo is ever changed to have a superclass other than NSObject, the code
above is likely to be wrong.

--
Greg Parker     gpar...@apple.com <mailto:gpar...@apple.com>     Runtime
Wrangler