> Now I want to recreate the same thing using just SQLite.

  Pick up a good introductory book on relational (SQL) databases.
What's good for one is *mostly* good for the others in terms of
general design.

> I don't know SQLite, and I know very little Unix.

  If you know SQL and you know enough "Unix" to get into the SQLite
CLI, you're most of the way there. You lack only knowledge of a)
relational database concepts and b) SQLite's specific quirks.

  If you don't know SQL, I don't see how you think it's even remotely
reasonable to learn how to use SQLite (or SQL) by looking at the table
structure in a Core Data SQLite file.

> I had read it was possible to study SQLite using Core Data, but I am making
> no progress.

  Study? I suppose (in the same way one pins a dead butterfly to a
board to 'study' it with a magnifying glass). Other than that, the
notion is asinine. It's no wonder you're not making any progress: it's
not obvious a) what SQL code was used to generate the
structure/schema, b) why that particular schema is used due to the
Core Data model and its relationships, and c) when and how it's safe
to deviate from that design or even whether that's the *best* design.

>  The closest I could get to opening my core data sqlite document
> with sqlite3 was to try mycoredatadoc > sqlite3 in the Terminal, but
> permission was denied.

  How about (without quotes): "sqlite3 /path/to/mycoredata.doc"  ...?

> Any suggestions?

  Yes, several:

1 - Stop it. ;-)
2 - Learn relational database concepts in general - there's a plethora
of books (introductory to advanced) out there. I'm sure the material
freely available on the 'net would even suffice if you're a quick
study.
3 - Same for SQL. It is not "a database" any more than all databases
"are SQL". If you learn SQL well enough to at least create some
tables, add, modify, and delete records, etc. you're getting close.
This should be done in tandem with RDBMS concepts.
4 - Either make an effort to learn your way around the command line or
get yourself a good GUI app to manage SQLite databases. There are a
few free and paid apps out there.
5 - Learn the specific quirks of SQLite. It's (as the name suggests) a
SQL-based database system, but it's fundamentally different from most
in that it's not meant to be a 'server'. I also *think* (from memory)
that it does not fully implement the SQL language, so those
differences can bite you too.
6 - When trying to reverse-engineer something, you really need to know
your stuff (the fundamentals). In your case, you're trying to
reverse-engineer your favorite MP3 player without any knowledge of
electronics or design, assuming knowing how to use the product very
well is sufficient. Not so.

  I hope this is helpful. I had to guess at what you do and don't
know, so take that into consideration if I'm off-base.

--
I.S.