In my table view, when you drag an item, the drag image it uses comes from
the column cell where the drag started, rather than using the cell from the
first column where I have the icon and name. How do I make it use the first
column?

I'm looking at Apple's TableViewPlayground as an example, and the outline
view there works like I want, and I can't see what the key difference is.

I'm tempted to try to fix it in tableView:updateDraggingItemsForDrag: but
the Apple sample only uses that to update the image for external drags. For
local drags, that method is essentially not used. If I comment that method
out, the first-column-image behavior I want still works in the sample.

I have a simple example at https://github.com/Uncommon/TableTest - notice
that dragging from different columns yields different drag images even
though the data in the drag is the same.