Hi Matt,

On 3/21/18 18:40, Matt Jacobson wrote:
Hi Markus,

There's really no official distinction these days between a layer-hosting view and a regular view.  A view may have a layer (provided by directly calling -setLayer:), or AppKit may (or may not, depending on the exact circumstances) give it a layer automatically.

Either way, the view is subject to the same rules about what properties of that layer it may mutate (vs. those AppKit "owns")—see <https://developer.apple.com/library/content/releasenotes/AppKit/RN-AppKit/#10_13Layer-backed%20Views <https://developer.apple.com/library/content/releasenotes/AppKit/RN-AppKit/#10_13Layer-backed Views>>.

And either way, the view may certainly have subviews.  We'll update the incorrect documentation—thanks for pointing that out.

That's certainly very helpful, thanks! Question is, can I rely on this working alright as far back as macOS 10.10 (which is my current deployment target), or will this be asking for trouble?

What I have - and that works on 10.13:

Window
  | -- Custom Content View
    | -- Visual Effects view
      | -- Custom View containing NSButtons, NSTextField, etc.
      | -- Custom View containing NSButtons, NSTextField, etc.
      | -- Custom View containing NSButtons, NSTextField, etc.

My custom content view is used to clip corners to a nice radius. The view class is set in IB. The window is of a border-less, background-less custom window class.

Thanks again!
Best Regards

Markus