Sorry about the mysterious blank posts. Let's see if I can do it with plain text rather than HTML.

On 4/5/2018 11:05 AM, David Duncan wrote:
>> On Apr 5, 2018, at 10:53 AM, James Walker <jam...@frameforge3d.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have a generic NSView that contains some subviews, and I'd like to add a background image. I tried code like this:
>>
>> NSImage* backgroundImage = [NSImage imageNamed: @"blueprint controls.png"];
>> CALayer* holderLayer = [CALayer layer];
>> _throttleHolder.layer = holderLayer;
>> _throttleHolder.wantsLayer = YES;
>> holderLayer.zPosition = 4.0f;
>> holderLayer.contents = backgroundImage;
>> holderLayer.hidden = NO;
>> holderLayer.bounds = NSRectToCGRect( _throttleHolder.bounds );
>> [holderLayer setNeedsDisplay];
> You don’t need to call -setNeedsDisplay here, and it may be what is destroying your content (when a layer displays, its stores the result of drawing in contents – you don’t want that since you are setting the contents directly).

Thank you (and also thanks to Rob Petrovec). I think my first try didn't have that line, but when it didn't work, I started making desperate changes. In my first attempt, I tried using the layer that the view already owned by virtue of being marked layer-backed in the nib, rather than adding my own layer.

For the record, I get correct results with just this:

NSImage* backgroundImage = [NSImage imageNamed: @"blueprint controls.png"];
_throttleHolder.layer = [CALayer layer];
_throttleHolder.layer.contents = backgroundImage;