Is printing from iOS still possible? Is AirPrint still a viable SDK to use?

I can get AirPrint to bring up a printer selection screen, but it won't
actually select a printer.

I present the printer selection screen:

    UIPrinterPickerController *printPicker =
           [UIPrinterPickerController
printerPickerControllerWithInitiallySelectedPrinter:nil];
    [printPicker presentAnimated:YES completionHandler:
          ^(UIPrinterPickerController *printerPicker, BOOL userDidSelect,
NSError *error)
           {
                  // . . .
           }];

By default, this presents a tableview with an entry that says:

    "Printer                          Select Printer >"

and below, it shows a preview of the image that will be printed. So far, so
good.

If I tap on "Select Printer >" it takes me to a tableview list of the available
printers.
If I tap an available printer, it takes me back to the default screen, with NO
printer selected!

The printer is an AirPrint-capable device (Canon), on the local wifi with the
iPhone. I've implemented all of the UIPrintInteractionControllerDelegate
callbacks (none of which get called).

What is going wrong here? There's nothing in the Xcode log.

-Carl