> On Jun 14, 2018, at 10:11 AM, Alastair Houghton
> <alast...@alastairs-place.net> wrote:
>
> I don’t think it’s changed in any obvious way; the framework has always
> swallowed exceptions in certain contexts, but not in others. Obviously the
> precise detail may have changed over time, but it’s certainly crashed on
> exceptions for as long as I remember, outside of the places where they get
> ignored for whatever reason.

I definitely remember that when I started Cocoa programming in 2000, up until
at least 2005, NSRunLoop caught exceptions and the app kept running. I was kind
of surprised when that changed.

> Perhaps you’re thinking of NSSetUncaughtExceptionHandler()? I don’t think
> there’s much you can usefully do from that, though, besides logging the
> exception.

Yes, that's it! I used to set that to capture the exception info (like the
backtrace), and then schedule a delayed-perform to pop up the alert when it was
safe. I have no idea whether it would still work.

—Jens