I have a view-based NSTableView with column headers, and I have assigned tool tips to all the columns in the nib. The problem is that if I pause the mouse over column headers, the tool tips don't appear. In contrast, tool tips for controls within table rows work fine. However, if I click one of the columns headers, then the tool tips for all the column headers start working. Or, if I just activate some other app and then go back to mine, the tool tips start working. These clues made me suspect that it had something to do with window activation or first responder, but I checked that in the problematic case, the table is first responder and its window is main.

This is on High Sierra, if it matters.