On 31 Aug 2019, at 2:49, Carl Hoefs via Cocoa-dev wrote:

Same result if I run it as a system daemon. So as you suggest it seems there could be some sort of environment sensitivity going on. If only I knew what env var to set in the shell... UTC really isn't what I'm looking for.

The issue appears to be that `NSLog` sends your format string and arguments to the unified logging system, this is what Xcode and Console displays, and here you get dates formatted using the local time zone.

But it *also* does a simple `stringWithFormat:` and sends the result to standard error, at least when running in a terminal. This is where you are seeing a more crude formatting of the date which is not adjusted to the local time zone.

Open a new tab in your terminal, in that tab run this command:

        log stream|grep 'Configured date'

Now run your executable, and in the tab where it is running, you should see the UTC date, but in the tab where you are watching the log stream, you get the local date.