On 4 Sep 2019, at 0:18, Turtle Creek Software via Cocoa-dev wrote:

The startup code was created 3 years ago when we were new to Cocoa,
probably from one of the HIllegass books.

Do you manually load nibs (as opposed to rely on the framework to load MainMenu.nib)?

In a previous post you wrote:

Our app delegate class is not deallocated. The window controller is deallocated despite the member reference there. If we keep the second strong reference to the controller, then the outline view is deallocated instead. Nothing references the view except being in the .xib file for the window controller.

We had similar problems with a NSTabViewer. When we futzed the build settings to allow

To me it sounds like your nib is not being retained. This one contains the app delegate as a top-level object, so this gets released unless something else retains it (like when you had the main window controller retain the app delegate with a strong back-reference, but then you saw views being released instead).

So you need to look at the setup code, if it is using modern NSNib loading methods, it will need to keep the array of top-level objects (and the nib itself) retained for the duration of the program.

The nib is (it sounds) the root of your ownership hierarchy, and you are retaining objects further down the tree, which doesn’t correctly fix the problem.