I hope this isn't a stupid question but I think it would improve my
understanding of Core data.

Interface Builder 3.0's 'library' includes a Managed Object Context object
which you can add to a nib. However, it has no outlets and no bindings so in
what scenario would it be of any use? I've not been able to find any
documentation of mention of why this is available to IB 3. My understanding
is that a managed object context is created in code, usually by combining
the managed models of the application's bundle. This then becomes that
'scratchpad' in which managed objects can be manipulated and finally saved
to disk via the persistant store coordinator.

If this IB object has no outlets or bindings, it cannot be connected to
existing MOC or store coordinator so any managed objects within could not be
saved (unless you create an outlet to it from one of your objects in code
but then what's the advantage of that?). Also how would such an
IB-instantiated MOC 'know' about the managed objects defined within XCode
without more glue code?

I'm sure it could be made to work (why else would it exists?) but I would
like someone to describe a situation in which having a MOC within a Nib is
of any use.

has anyone used this?