I didn't mean to start a language war, because it's not about C++ vs
Objective-C or Swift.  It's about whatever lets us create software that
runs on Macintosh and pays for the development cost.  Right now, it only
makes sense to write an entire app in Objective-C or Swift if it's OK to
limit sales to Apple hardware.  That's no problem for iPhone apps, because
iOS has 57% share in the US.  Ditto for small Mac apps, because development
cost is small.

Unfortunately, software for any vertical or specialty market has to deal
with Mac market share. It's 20% overall, but only 2% or 3% for our niche,
and falling.  Probably 10% or less for businesses in general.  For most
apps, that means writing code in something other than Obj-C or Swift, with
minimal pain to connect it to a Mac GUI.  Then having it last long enough
for sales to repay the programming cost.  We couldn't accomplish that with
Cocoa as is.  Not with subs, nor with our own staff.  An easier connection
from C++ to Cocoa would have helped.

I'm really not eager to be working in MFC.  It has plenty of flaws, but at
least it's C++. We can ship a Windows update in a year or so. Then sell it
for another 10 or 20 years.  The only reason we need to update at all is
because the subs doing the Windows port cheated, and used QuickTime DLLs
for the Windows port.

Casey McDermott
TurtleSoft.com