> On Dec 10, 2019, at 12:58 PM, Richard Charles via Cocoa-dev
> <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 10, 2019, at 10:55 AM, Turtle Creek Software via Cocoa-dev
>> <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> What if Apple were to open source Foundation, Core Data, etc., most every
> thing but the UI so that developers could more easily generate cross platform
> apps.
>
> Recently visited this Microsoft web site where the tag line is
> "cross-platform". It would be interesting to know if this stuff really works.
>
> https://dotnet.microsoft.com/learn/dotnet/what-is-dotnet
>
> --Richard Charles

If you're so absolutely set on cross-platform, leave the cross-platform work to
those who do that — and write your code to those libraries.

Here's some options: wxWidgets, Qt, Cocotron, Xojo. Each has strengths and
weaknesses, but you're never going to get an entirely "platform native"
experience on all platforms because each platform is *different*. The
advantages to libraries like wxWidgets, Qt, and Xojo is that *they* do the work
to support new technologies, the downside is that the support may take some
time and not work exactly the same on all platforms.

MVVM might help save you, but that's basically what cross-platform libraries
provide. You're stuck developing your own or using one of the pre-existing ones
(and I'd suggest one of the pre-existing ones). The advantage is that the
libraries open up options beyond "macOS" and "Windows" - the disadvantage is
that they eliminate much of the platform-specific behaviors.

Apple has absolutely zero need to deliver a cross-OS-platform GUI toolset
beyond macOS/iOS/tvOS/watchOS - and even then, it's likely to be based on
SwiftUI, and not C++. It's their competitive advantage, and the reason why
you're looking to *them* to do the work is so that you don't need to. The
problem is that you've waited until the train has pulled into the station two
stops after yours before deciding to jump on.

--
Glenn L. Austin, Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver         <><
<http://www.austinsoft.com>