On Jun 24, 2008, at 3:55 PM, Jelle Vandebeeck wrote:
When I try to call the NSSavePanel, I always receive some memory leaks on it. I have no idea if they are bad or not so bad... I just can't find a decent tutorial on the Instruments tool.

Have you tried using the "leaks" tool in instruments? It is easy to use. Keep the ref count, and look at the stack traces. Related, but not what you want, is:

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/blog/index.php/2007/10/instruments-on-leopard-how-to-debug-those-random-crashes-in-your-cocoa-app/

Walking through that tutorial will help you.

This is the code that generates the memory leak from time to time:

NSSavePanel *savePanel = [NSSavePanel savePanel];
[savePanel setRequiredFileType:extention];
[savePanel setMessage:title];
[savePanel setExtensionHidden:YES];

It's the [NSSavePanel savePanel that gets the leak...

What do you mean by that?

Exactly what is leaking?

How are you determining it to leak?

I know the NSSavePanel is a singleton

No, it is not a singleton! Did you read this somewhere? If so, let me know, so we can correct our documentation.

NOTE: Some things are cached.

, so it should always use the same instance. Is that the problem when I try to call it multiple times in my application?

No, it isn't a problem, since it isn't a singleton. It creates a new instance for you each time.

corbin