Sorry for bothering again.
I would like to obtain some clarification regarding the problems I am having
when my screensaver tries to load images that reside on an external disk.

I have read the dev docs on sandboxing (
https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/Security/Conceptual/AppSandboxDesignGuide/AppSandboxInDepth/AppSandboxInDepth.html
 ‒ thanks a lot for pointing me to those),
and I read everything about Security-Scoped Bookmarks (thanks for that pointer,
too).

First of all, I am wondering whether trying to use security-scoped bookmarks
might really help,
because the entitlements of legacyScreenSaver do not include
com.apple.security.files.bookmarks.*
Here is the complete list of legacyScreenSaver's entitlements:

<dict>
        <key>com.apple.private.xpc.launchd.per-user-lookup</key>
        <true/>
        <key>com.apple.security.app-sandbox</key>
        <true/>
        <key>com.apple.security.cs.disable-library-validation</key>
        <true/>
        <key>com.apple.security.files.user-selected.read-only</key>
        <true/>
        <key>com.apple.security.network.client</key>
        <true/>
        <key>com.apple.security.network.server</key>
        <true/>

<key>com.apple.security.temporary-exception.files.absolute-path.read-only</key>
        <array>
                <string>/</string>
        </array>

<key>com.apple.security.temporary-exception.mach-lookup.global-name</key>
        <array>
                <string>com.apple.CARenderServer</string>
                <string>com.apple.CoreDisplay.master</string>
                <string>com.apple.nsurlstorage-cache</string>
                <string>com.apple.ViewBridgeAuxiliary</string>
        </array>
        <key>com.apple.security.temporary-exception.sbpl</key>
        <array>
                <string>(allow mach-lookup mach-register)</string>
        </array>
        <key>com.apple.security.temporary-exception.yasb</key>
        <true/>
</dict>

(Obtained using codesign -dvvv --entitlements :-
/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/PlugIns/legacyScreenSaver.appex/Contents/MacOS/legacyScreenSaver
 )

So, at least according to the doc, there is no point in trying to use
Security-Scoped Bookmarks.

What is your experience?

Best regards, Gabriel

PS:
My screensaver can access files in ~/Pictures just fine.

Also, it can access files on an external disk, if the directory is provided
during the same run via   NSOpenPanel.
But not in a later run , when it tries to access those same files (on external
disk) with user interaction.