this may be difficult for other to repro

i have discovered it may have to do with permissions / entitlements that have
been granted the app by the user, and that resetting all perms to default will
"fix" the problem

in the terminal, do this:
> tccutil reset All
i expect that after that, your delay will disappear.

however, you'll have to manually re-authorize all apps in the system
prefs->security & privacy->privacy tab

i realize this is a "sweep the problem under the rug" rather than "fix the
problem" approach
but hopefully this should give someone else a clue as to WHY this is happening?

-dave