On 24 Apr 2020, at 11:49, Saagar Jha wrote:

GateKeeper is basically Safari adding a quarantine flag […]
Nit: not just Safari; other applications do this to at their discretion when appropriate (for example, if they too download files from the internet). Quarantine is just one part of GateKeeper.

Right, I said “basically” to indicate I was simplifying the description.

But at least it was a user-space feature with co-operation from (amongst others) Finder and Safari, without the need for any network access.

This is different from the issue being discussed, which is kernel-space feature that does network access even for locally created files.

GateKeeper and XProtect though are probably more umbrella marketing terms than actual technologies, so they may cover more today, for example app translocation probably also falls under GateKeeper, and the recent uninstall of the Zoom web server I think was said to fall under XProtect.