> I also read about the GCD's dispatch queues, but it seems to me that this
would not be the suitable approach since I always only have one task
running concurrently to the main thread.

> Why not? Dispatch queues are always available. (The main thread is simply
> a special queue.) You can run the background task by creating a single
> dispatch queue and then using dispatch_async to call a block that does the
> work. The end of the block would call dispatch_async back to the main queue
> and pass the image as a parameter.

I could not agree more with Jens. Great Central Dispatch has been a big
boon. Before GCD, I would not touch multithreaded code with a ten-foot
pole. Now I use it everyday and I can increase responsiveness as never
before. I would definitely take a look at it. You can load images with a
background thread and then when the loading is done you can dispatch it to
the main queue for display. It has never been so easy to do that.

João