The vast majority of data used by a CGImageRef for any sufficiently
representable image is going to be its bitmap data (a 1x1 pixel image
wouldn’t), and you can calculate that by using CGImageGetBytesPerRow and its
neighbor APIs.  If I recall from your previous posts, you are showing very
detailed scans of artwork.  I believe NASA has a similar conundrum with their
telescope data; perhaps there’s some open source solutions there that might
help with your particular needs?  Just a thought.  Another thing I’d consider
(which I haven’t personally done) is looking at what Metal can provide; you
might have to drop down to that level for your needs.  And it may be just as
important if you have a system with multiple large-format screens with so much
data.
--
Gary L. Wade
http://www.garywade.com/ <http://www.garywade.com/>