Hi folks,

I have an app which communicates with a privileged helper tool, and I used the
AuthorizationRightSet API to add the rights, requirements, and prompt strings
to the authorizationdb - as per Apple's documentation. As expected, this
initial call to "AuthorizationRightSet" does not prompt for authentication to
add the rights to the DB.

Some of my app's functions require presenting an authentication prompt to the
user, and these prompts have been localised.

Calling 'sudo security authorizationdb read' in the Terminal shows the rule,
the default prompt, and all the localised versions of the prompt string.

All fine so far, but I've recently reworded some of the authentication prompt
strings, so it (and all the localisations) now need to be updated.

How do I do this? Naively I thought I could just update the respective
localizable.strings file, and it would just work, but as the translated text is
hard-coded into the authorizationdb, this doesn't seem possible.

Using AuthorizationRightSet again will cause an authentication prompt to appear
as soon as my app is launched. As does AuthorizationRightRemove.

Now, I know I could remove all my rights from the authorizationdb by calling
"sudo security authorizationdb remove XYZ" for each of my app's rights, but I
obviously can't expect users to do this. Neither do I want them to be presented
with an auth prompt purely to update some strings.

I could also just change the auth right name so that the app proceeds as if
that particular right had never been in the database in the first place, but
that seems like a nasty hacky way to do it.

....so, where does this leave me? I can't be the only person who's come up
against this issue, but web searches and StackOverflow aren't giving me much to
go on.

Many thanks
Mark