Thanks a lot for your response.

For further info: this is what I have in Xcode:

  https://owncloud.informatik.uni-bremen.de/index.php/s/T9SrFWNTxRbW83S

> Yeah, the isTemplate definitely shouldn't be set, that would cause that
> issue, I'd have expected setting that to false to fix your issue.

Also, when I look at
  /tmp/Debug/Launcher.app/Contents/Resources/AppIcon.icns
the images are there (I can see them in Preview).

> I also think there was a feature where NSImage would automatically set the
> template flag when an image's name ended in "Template" or something like
> that. You might want to search for that unless you're really using an image
> named "AppIcon".

When I do this, for instance,

  let itemImage = NSImage(named: "icon_16x16")

then there is nothing in the status bar.
The status bar app launches, but you can't see it (you can still click on it,
and it is working.)

> I just checked, and Flexibits' Fantastical still can use a colored icon, so
> there must be a way to make it work.

Even with B/W images, like the one I took from the tutorial

https://www.raywenderlich.com/450-menus-and-popovers-in-menu-bar-apps-for-macos

does not work.

> Is your status bar item a menu, or does it behave like a button? Fantastical
> does the latter, so maybe if you ask for a menu, you get some default "menu
> title" themeing?

If I understand your question correctly, the, yes, my status bar app is a menu,
because my code does this:

    func applicationDidFinishLaunching(_ aNotification: Notification)
    {
        let statusBar = NSStatusBar.system
        statusBarItem_ = statusBar.statusItem( withLength:
NSStatusItem.squareLength )
//        statusBarItem_.button?.title = "AAL"
        let itemImage = NSImage(named: "AppIcon")
        itemImage?.isTemplate = false
        statusBarItem_.button?.image = itemImage

        let statusBarMenu = NSMenu( title: "AAL Menu" )
        statusBarItem_.menu = statusBarMenu

        statusBarMenu.addItem( withTitle: "Launch app Now", action:
#selector(AppDelegate.launchApp), keyEquivalent: "a" )

        prefs_popover_ = NSPopover()
        prefs_popover_.contentViewController =
PreferencesController.freshController()
        statusBarMenu.addItem( withTitle: "Preferences", action:
#selector(AppDelegate.togglePrefsPopover), keyEquivalent: "," )

        statusBarMenu.addItem( withTitle: "Quit", action:
#selector(AppDelegate.quit), keyEquivalent: "q" )