Apple made a change in Catalina to add a system preference to Show Scroll Bars:
“Automatically based on mouse or trackpad”. This is now the default. I believe
you are wanting an alternate choice - “When scrolling”.
Note that the user makes the selection as they wish, so trying to force them to
an alternate will only alienate users, and is obviously not  good thing.

Jack