I have a screensaver that compiles and runs fine when I use the active scheme
"My Mac".
However, when I switch to "Any Mac (Apple Silicon, Intel)", I get the error
message
   "A build only device cannot be used to run this target"
in Xcode immediately.

Maybe, the following info is related to this error message, maybe not:
The scheme is a bit uncommon, perhaps, because it has a Pre-action in the Run
tab
(which copies the .saver bundle into ~/Library/Screen Savers),
and in the Run section the Executable is set to "System Preferences.app".
(It works fine under the "My Mac" scheme.)

I can "Build For .. Running", and it does actually build it.
I can see /tmp/Saver.build/Release/.../{arm64,x86_64/Binary/..
I can also see the folder /tmp/Release/Saver.saver/Contents/MacOS/.
And it does contain an exec that is x86_64 and arm64.

But I'd prefer Xcode running the "Run" stuff in my scheme.

Any ideas? All kinds of suggestions and insights will be appreciated.

(Naturally , I have already googled.)

Best regards, Gabriel