Hi Jim.  You did exactly what I did.  You found the level of diminishing
returns on threads.

Back in 2008, while working on FiOS TV for Verizon I wrote the design to
development automation pipeline that automated export of graphic assets from
Illustrator, Photoshop and ImageOptim by Kornel Lesińsk.  It written in
AppleScript (kill me now) wrapped in AppleScript-Obj-C in Xcode 3.x IIRC.  In
spawning processes for image optimization, I tried the “make a thread for each
image” and quickly ran into what you did.

BUT, if they were spawned, suspended and then added to an operation queue, you
can let the operation queue to the heavy lifting.  Just as you mentioned.

One issue you could have run in to is if the media you were performing the
writes to took longer than the amount of time to perform the image processing,
creating a write bottleneck.

Thanks for posting the processInfo.processorCount.  That’s what I was thinking
about but couldn’t remember.

FYI, ImageOptim is a fun tool for smallifying images in both lossless and lossy
operation.  It’s got one special trick I discovered added to it to get extra
smallification.  In the images I tested, we went from ~ 18% smaller to 24 and
then 28% smaller using my technique that’s wrapped into ImageOptim, which uses
multiple tools and multiple parameter iterations and compares the image sizes
to pick the smallest.  Then it wraps that with my technique until no more
smallification can be achieved.  It’s fun.  It’s free.  And Kornel is a great
guy for making this available if this matters to you.   Here’s the link.
https://imageoptim.com/mac

Cheers,
Alex Zavatone