Hi Eyal,

I believe the target for a pop-up menu is the view that you pass in that
method, at least initially. If there is an established responder chain from
that view to other responders (up to and including First Responder) then the
menu items should reach their target. But it’s pretty easy to break that chain,
for example if the view isn’t set as allowing itself to become first responder.
Just having a pop-up menu doesn’t refocus the view.

The usual approach is to create a pop-up menu in IB and wire it directly to the
view that pops it up, targeting actions as needed. You don’t need to do
anything special to make this menu pop-up, it will do so automatically when you
right-click, and the target is directly set as the view (or other objects) so
the whole responder chain management is avoided. If your menu is more dynamic,
and creating a static menu in IB doesn’t seem to be a good fit, look at the
menu delegation protocol, which allows you to populate a menu on the fly. You
can still create a placeholder in IB to get automatic pop-up behaviour.

—Graham

(Forgive any misinformation, I’m getting a little rusty).