> On Mar 19, 2023, at 10:50 AM, Alex Zavatone <z...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> Would it make sense to intentionally cause this in one test case and then try
> dispatching on another queue at an intentional lower priority?
>
> I’m just brainstorming here to create a specific case that we know causes it,
> then examines other dispatch options at lower quality of service levels.  Am
> not even considering async yet and expect that may cause unintended
> possibilities.
>
> My guess here is that we need this to be sync, but it cannot be on the main
> thread (obviously) so try lower QOS and another thread before looking in to a
> dispatch queue.
>
> Just trying to look at this from the 100 ft view and exhaust the current
> options before moving pas them.

Not following some of this.

> Then there is always the case of, “does anyone else have this working?  What
> are they doing and why does it work if they do?”
>
> Cheers,
> Alex Zavatone
>
> Sent from my iPhone

But as mentioned I think if I remember right that this switch was done in the
very early days of Mac java for only Eclipse because they had their own ‘window
toolkit’. I am not aware of anyone else making regular use of it. But they
might be.

It came up on a java forum because OpenGL code in a java Swing app I think was
getting errors for not being on the main thread. Which -XstartOnFirstThread is
supposed to accomplish.

I got into it because a long time back Apple was working on a Cocoa Java
bridge. Some of that to work correctly also had to be on the main thread.

I came up with a little stub that would do a callback into java on the native
thread. Basically perform selector on main the java callback.

However, since it was indicated that the java jdk providing a fix for
-XstartOnFirstThread would be a preferred solution. I decided to look at that
some. I have sort of concluded that most likely isn’t going to fly.