I have an app that is basically a slide show.
Basically, it loads one image after another, displays it, then frees up its
memory.
When I test it with my image collection of 100k+ images, everything is fine.

However, one user sent me a photo (JPG) that makes my app use up more and more
memory.
I can see it in Activity Monitor and in Xcode's Memory Report View.
After a minute, my app uses 5 GB of main memory, after that, the growth rate
slows down a bit,
but it keeps growing without bounds, until, eventually, it crashes, of course.

However, when I try to check for memory leaks using XCode/Instruments/Leaks, it
says there are none!

Is it possible there is a memory leak in Apple's frameworks?

If you are interested, you can find the image here:
  https://owncloud.informatik.uni-bremen.de/index.php/s/BbBJcjMSTm9enwW
It's just 5 MB, and I can't see any issue with it.
The uncompressed image in-memory maybe takes up 100MB.

The frameworks/methods I use are the usual:
CGImageSourceCreateWithURL() for loading, CALayer for displaying.

I assign the image like this:

    CALayer * imgLayer           = [CALayer layer];
    imgLayer.contents            = (__bridge id)(imageRef);

where imageRef is of type CGImageRef.
I also release my images later with CGImageRelease().

I am a stymied.
Any hints/suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Gab.