Are you overriding NSOpenSavePanelDelegate -panel:shouldEnableURL:?  If so,
make sure your code isn’t inadvertently disabling the folder for some reason.

Doing those steps in TextEdit works fine for me.  Maybe ask the user to try the
same steps with TextEdit Open dialog and see if the behavior is different?

If it was a permissions issue the icon would have a 🚫 badge on it and should
not appear disabled (grayed out).  Hope that helps & good luck.

—Rob