On Jun 28, 2008, at 7:35 AM, Shawn Erickson wrote:

On Jun 27, 2008, at 11:33 PM, dudley ackerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

i can call setContentView on my app's window only if i don't plug in a 2nd monitor. posts on this topic in the archives say you can't simple call setContentView on a window -
i'm not clear if that means even once.
even with a 2nd monitor, the call always works the 1st time for me -- perhaps accidentally.

i can see no frames or bounds

Can you better explain the problem you are having?

Having secondary monitors should have no affect at the view level. So something else is wrong.

i have 2 views in a nib file.
the first one is used as [window setContentView:<1stview>] in my controller's awakeFromNib, and the view is populated dynamically with layerbacked subviews.
the window is set to be the desktop behind everything else.

on a menu command, the window is changed to a normal desktop window.
everything displays correctly.

then on a menu command a want to switch the 2nd nib view and populate it with subviews. i see the subviews being created, but the window gets drawn with a black background and no drawing of my views. i can mouse over where the subviews are and see tooltips popup, and i can click where the subviews are and bring up an image or show a movie in the window.
it does this by doing [window setContentView:<movieView>].

but on menu command to go back to my 2nd content view, it is back to black.

again -- the window is on my 1st monitor and all is fine if i don't have my 2nd monitor plugged in.
any windows from other apps on my 2nd monitor are fine.

this is on a macbook pro with leopard 10.5.3.

i am thinking of trying to bring up the window on the 2nd monitor and see if it displays correctly there. it doesn't seem to have something to do with the extend of the screen being extend upward: my 2nd monitor is positioned above my 1st (logically and physically). because it doesn't help to logically position the 2nd monitor to the side of the 1st.