Oops. Sorry for the double reply. Stupid phone doesn't have a threaded view.

-----Original Message-----
From: Shawn Erickson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2008 5:32 PM
To: john muchow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com>
Subject: Re: Methods that return autoreleased objects?

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 5:25 PM, john muchow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The last thread that I saw on this topic was dated sometime in
> 2004....if there is something more recent that I didn't find, I
> apologize up front...
>
> I realize nothing has probably changed as far as the API and the
> documentation to indicate autoreleased methods, however, can someone
> provide any insight as to how one knows if a method from a framework
> returns an autoreleased object?

Who cares if it is autoreleased? That is essentially an implementation
detail in most situations.

Just learn the memory management rules, mix in common sense, look for
exceptions to the rules (very seldom do any exist) and follow the
rules in your own code.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/MemoryMgmt/Tasks/MemoryManagementRules.html

-Shawn