Hey folks,

I am fairly new to Cocoa development, so bear with me.

I have a situation where I am loading arbitray data from network- supplied URLs. Sometimes the URLs contain Kanji unicode characters. When they do, my HTTP loading mechanism (which is built around NSURL* frameworks) dies with an exception deep inside of CFURLGetString.

Short of writing code to protect CFURLGetString from ever seeing one of these URLs, I thought the simplest thing to do would be to try to cover this section of code with a @try/@catch construct, but it seems to be having no effect. The program still crashes. I gather it is because what I'm getting is a null pointer type of issue, rather than something that generates a manageable NSException object.

Anyway, that all said, I'm just speculating. Any actual info on solving this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave