I'm not familiar with SKTZoomingScrollView but I do wonder why its author wrote it that way, when to get zooming you can simply use the actual view's -scaleUnitSquareToSize: method (plus frame computation), and any enclosing clipview/scrollview does the right thing without any work at all. I thought that was the supported way to implement zooming, so maybe CALayer will work when zooming is done that way.

If there's some good reason NOT to use -scaleUnitSquareToSize: I'd like to hear it because that's what I've been using since 10.2 and have had no problem with it.

I have a general-purpose view class here that wraps up this zoom functionality. Might we worth trying with CALayer...

http://apptree.net/gczoomview.htm

cheers, Graham