Funnily enough, I've just found and been playing with NSCalendarDate and was unaware of the discouragement of using this class until now, thanks Jens. But it's not deprecated *yet*
From the docs:
Important: Use of NSCalendarDate strongly discouraged. It is not deprecated yet, however it may be in the next major OS release after Mac OS X v10.5. For calendrical calculations, you should use suitable combinations of NSCalendar, NSDate, and NSDateComponents, as described in Calendars in Dates and Times Programming Topics for Cocoa.

JJ