Thanks - I've seen solutions like this before, I just wanted to get it working the regular way!

I totally understand the sentiment.

Is itemForPersistentObject expecting an NSTreeNode? You say you have it working in a similar way - what does your itemForPersistentObject method return?

Many thanks
Ian

Here's what I do:

- (id)outlineView:(NSOutlineView *)ov itemForPersistentObject:(id)object
{
return [[gAppDelegate library] groupWithUID:object]; // This fetches the group from the managed object context
}

- (id)outlineView:(NSOutlineView *)ov persistentObjectForItem:(id)item
{
        return [item uid];
}

According to the docs I'm supposed to archive the persistent object before returning it, but in my case, it doesn't matter because it's just a string and it all goes into a plist anyway. I have tried it both ways after seeing your implementation though, and there are indeed no differences.

I see why you're thinking that you need to return a NSTreeNode though. I don't need to do that because I don't use a NSTreeController and instead implement the data source protocol in my custom controller. So for me the item is the model object itself.

In your case, I'm fairly positive that you do need to return the NSTreeNode object. Instead of fetching the model object, walk the controller's content tree looking for the right representedObject with the UID.

- Andy Kim