On Jul 1, 2008, at 3:11 PM, Chris Irvine wrote:

I've been doing a lot of reading about this, but I still don't feel like I have a concise answer. I'm building a small suite of applications that all will all share similar interaction with a UDP based network based peer. It will be necessary to have various background threaded activities to keep the connection alive and monitored. I've already built a small proof of concept using a separate C program that does standard i/o and can be managed by a the Cocoa front end using NSTask. This is somewhat limiting and isn't portable to our most favorite mobile device.

If your need is for the receipt of UDP packets, CFSocket provides a run loop source that can handle that.

Douglas Davidson