I've run into this many times, and I think I've used all the techniques you mention and some others less hygienic. I've been most satisfied with your 2) and 3) solutions. There's not really that much overhead in making a struct or Obj-C class for two specific kinds of values, and once you've got it you know exactly what you're doing at all times. I like structs becaus they're so lightweight, and I like Obj-C classes (with properties, yay!) because structs are so ugly to declare.

I note that Cocoa itself uses all these techniques, but maybe they lean toward structs with a few specialized functions for working with them, for constructs that will be used often like NSRange. On the other hand there's NSIndexPath; since it's a class, UITableView can create a category on it that provides properties. Very nice.