Hi

First some background:

We are in the process of porting a multi-platform application (ERP and CRM) to cocoa. (we have a carbon client today, but also many other platforms). Because of the multi platform aspect and large number windows (about 100k windows in total for all languages) we can not use interface builder for the windows.

My problem:

In many of our records (such as "invoice" or "general ledger transaction") we have what we call matrices (invoice rows are a good example). Right now we have implemented them with a NSTableView and it works fairly OK.

In these matrices we have the possibility for special "typed rows", such as a "payment row" for cash invoices. (you buy 8 items, and pay $300 cash and $500 with one credit card, $500 with another, and then get $27.55 in change for example).

These typed rows need a different positioning of the data than the normal columns (they have e.g. labels in the row to explain what type of row it is).

I think I understand how to solve the display part by using tableView:dataCellForTableColumn:row: and supplying a full-width cell (custom subclass), and then painting the fields inside by drawing other cells. But how do I solve that some of these cells need to be editable by the user? Alternatively, is there any way to reposition the cells horizontally (and change their width) for a specific row?

Regards    Erik